SoaSE and Real-Time Strategy
It’s been a while since I’ve played any real-time strategy (RTS) games. They once were the only games I ever played. From Warcraft through Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 and even the first installment of Starcraft 2. There’s plenty of others mixed in there as well such as Command and Conquer, Warzone 2100 along with Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and Dune 2.
One of my favorites was always Sins of a Solar Empire (SoaSE). I haven’t played in several years or even kept up with the series. I didn’t know the game continued on! Plenty of dependent expansions (downloadable content or DLS) as well as 2 standalone sequels/expansions. So I have the original and recently was gifted SoaSE: Rebellion by NightVallin from The Beard Gaming.
The rules outside of the normal game we’re playing are pretty simple:
- No publishing video or content that could give out information about the current game to give another player an unfair advantage over the others.
- No playing the game outside of the current game as all players haven’t played Sins of a Solar Empire in several years (so all pretty equally matched on recent experience).
At the moment of this blog post, we’re at 5+ hours of game time in SoaSE: Rebellion. During this time we’ve unofficially decided we’re going to take out NPCs first, then hit each other. However, I feel as though I’m am severely lacking in comparison to the opposition here. Here’s a list of things I believe I’ve done wrong so far, most of this in early game which makes me feel slightly gimped or behind where I should be:
- I have no idea what I was doing in early tech
- Scouting for me was a weakness. I failed to multitask the scouts or, for easy mode, forgot they could be set to “auto explore” which would have been useful 4 hours earlier than I (re) figured it out.
- I didn’t expand fast enough early on. I failed to multitask the colony ships as I spread through planets.
- I got hung up on a single planet for WAY too long early on which tied up my primary (or only) fleet at that time.
During the last couple of hours of gameplay I’ve been making attempts to “catch up” to where I feel I should be. However, I have also defended against a pirate raid, wiped out 2 insignificant empires while being hit by 2 others at the same time. One fairly extreme battle, I was against both said empires holding a key point of entry to my star system. 2 Titans and accompanying capital ships vs my titan and several of my capital ships. The included video gives a small glimpse to this particular battle. CAUTION: Video contains vulgar language.
It was pretty insane but, I won that battle with some heavy losses. It seems a little late in the game but, I’m finally getting my Real-Time Strategy senses back.