Cover Photos Because Artists Are Expensive
I'm not an artist, nor have I ever claimed to be one. That being said, here's what I have for cover photos.
The first in the line up is the base or foundation. My friend, Night Vallin of The Beard Gaming, gave me the Fireworks image for the fancy text. Stylish "DracoSys" on a blank black background with a little "Dragon wing" looking gimmick on the "r" was all him. I threw that on a black background, added a simple light bevel followed by a small glow effect to make sure the background didn't seem to swallow the dark-ish blue.
My ultimate idea for this one is to make it into a simple animation. Include some intro music and a couple sound effects and make it an intro to my YouTube videos. It's simple, to the point and still looks pretty sharp. This is the one my wife also likes between the other monstrosity.
The simple one is the one my wife favors.
The complex version has a ton of crap going on. That was kinda the point though. Something that just kinda punches your eyeballs for half a second, just enough to grab some attention.
- I threw in the center (my favorite of them all), the Ragnarov Titan from Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. It's a massive and sexy beast of a ship.
- Up front and personal is the popular Psycho from Borderlands. The best Borderlands 2 class, in my opinion, is the Mechromancer. So she's there right next to her counterpart, Deathtrap (the big robot thing above the ship).
- My first series on YouTube is dedicated to Bastion and it's a great game. I had to feature "The Kid" on there somewhere. He's sitting next to Deathtrap holding a Core while his Caer Hammer chills next to him.
- In Left 4 Dead 2, I freaking love the Witch. Probably the most badass baddie in the game (the Tank is overrated). Most of my time in L4D2 is spent playing the character, Ellis. So he's there too, next to The Kid. His redneck style fits me quite often and his commentary throughout the game are hilarious.
- XCOM is too freaking amazing all around. So it gets its logo and the "Vigilo Confido" icon in there. I believe "Vigilo Confido" loosely translates into "I am watchful. I am relied upon." If not directly, it at least fits for the game while being acceptable to several linguists.
- Minecraft creeper creeping. Minecraft is aweesome! Why not?
- Unreal Tournament, StarForge and Space Engineers were lacking in usable art for me. With already so much going on, I defaulted to their logos.
My goal for this one was a universal solution for a cover photo throughout my social profiles on the net. I really am on every major one and I cater to no game specifically. Cover photos are many times ignored, others are revered. I figured, 50/50 chance, might as well make a bang somewhere.
My son (obviously) prefers the complex one.
Do you prefer one over the other? Do you have other suggestions? If so, let me know! Contact me in any way you prefer: